Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A new Year and A Quick Review

                              


Wow, 3 weeks into 2014 already, where the heck did 2013 go and for that matter, how the heydie ho did the holidays come and leave already!?!  Hope all are doing well and back into the swing of regular living again.  For those of you stuck in this wither storm and cold, so sorry, sure am glad I no longer live in that mess anymore :D  I love this so cali weather, been in the 70's to the low 80's for a few weeks now!  Sadly we are facing a major drought so I do hope we get some storms soon, but you can keep the snow and negative temps.

So, as you can see I haven't book blogged in 4 months.  My reading mojo has flown the coup and been replaced by my creative mojo which you can investigate on my other blog Mia Sogni Dolci right there on the side bar.  I have been reading, I belong to a book club, but I haven't finished several books because they just weren't cutting it (sadly a couple were netgallies) and I refuse to ever waste time on crummy books ever again.

Right now I'm reading and excellant netgalley, The Weight Of Blood by Laura McHugh.  This is a really good mystery.  I just finished The Orphan Train by Kristina Baker Kline  for book club's January choice and it was a wonderful but sad story.  It's all about immigrant children from the 20's who were orphaned and  taken by train to families in the mid-west and for the most part but for the very lucky few, used as indentured servants.   December's choice was The Old Man and The Sea by Hemingway, I didn't even bother.  I don't like him and wasn't gonna waste my time reading about a stupid fish.

Some other books read for book club -
Looking For Salvation at The Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore, loved it
The Magic Of Ordinary Days by Ann Howard Creel, very good
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, excellent
Dreams Of Joy by Lisa See, ok
Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner, liked it
Hemingway's Girl by Erika Robuck, meh

Truth be told, I'm still searching for that one book that makes my breath catch in my chest and never want it to end.  Does it exsist?  I don't know, for now I'll read at my own pace, stress free not keeping a talley and putting it down if it stinks :D

Happy reading...






2 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss you. I love your sarcasm, do friends say you have a dark humour?

    Thank goodness I am not in that freezing weather also, 0 degrees and below is just insanity. We are in the 60 - 70's and when it reaches below 65 we are complaining, lol

    Sounds to me like you need to go read Chelsea Cain hon :-)

    Happy 2014 to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They usually say "tell us how you really feel!" Lmao! I can be quite blunt, I think that's the New Yorker in me, I don't have time for pussyfooting around ;)

      You're so sweet Marce :) I'm gonna try and be a bit more diligent in my blogging especially since I'm reading some Netgallies! I always check out your blog for awesome tips on what's out there in the thriller world. I do have to get me some more Chelsea!

      Hugs <3

      Delete

Please take a minute to leave a comment. Good or bad I always read them : ) and respond.

Related Posts with Thumbnails