Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bodies Left Behind - Review



The Bodies Left Behind
Jeffrey Deaver










Amazon blurb -

When a 911 call from a secluded Wisconsin vacation house is cut short, off-duty deputy Brynn McKenzie leaves her husband and son at the dinner table and drives up to Lake Mondac to investigate—and walks right into a nightmare when she stumbles upon the scene of an atrocious, gruesome murder. Brynn realizes that the perpetrator hasn’t left the crime scene yet, but it’s already too late to call for backup—dense woods surround the house, and there is nowhere for her to run but into the hostile Wisconsin wilderness.




The Bodies Left Behind is filled with Deaver’s signature twists and turns, where nothing is what it seems, and death lingers just around the next curve on a deserted path deep in the midnight forest.
*****


Brynn McKenzie is called out to check on a 911 call made from an upscale vacation home with only one word said - This. The chief feels that whoever called was going to say this is an emergency before getting cut off so he asks her to check it out even though she is already off duty. She goes, leaving her husband, son, and mother to eat spaghetti dinner without her expecting to be back within a couple of hours.

What ensues is a night of terror-filled cat and mouse with twists and turns that will have you saying "Holy Crap!!". I could not believe this book, it was just fantastic. This is the first time I'm reading Deaver and it was great. The only reason I can't give it 5 cannolis is I just didn't really warm up to Brynn. I loved the story but for me she was just an ok character. She was tough and not over the top or unbelievable, but I just felt something was missing. Her parenting skills miffed me a bit and I found that addition to the story very interesting. I liked her husband and really felt for the man.

I highly recommend this book, it is the second book for my Serial Killers Reading Challenge.

4 cannolis

2 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting, I want to read Bone Collector which will also be my first of JefferyD.

    I always love your exciting reviews, I can feel it, as if you are telling me, lol

    I think i'm going to read Val McDermid for my next Serial Killer read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like this one as much as other Deaver books - probably because I like his Lincoln Rhyme's series (starting with The Bone Collector) best! But I am glad your first Deaver book is a positive experience :)

    ReplyDelete

Please take a minute to leave a comment. Good or bad I always read them : ) and respond.

Related Posts with Thumbnails