Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club



 The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
 by Gil Mcneil












Amazon Blurb -

For every woman who has ever dreamed of starting over, or being a better mother, or just knitting a really nice scarf . . .


Jo Mackenzie needs a fresh start. Newly widowed with two young sons and a perilous bank balance, she leaves the bustle of London to take over her beloved Gran's wool shop in her sleepy seaside hometown. There, she finds unexpected comfort in a "Stitch and Bitch" knitting group that meets every week to trade gossip and, occasionally, a new stitch. When a new man enters Jo's life, the knitting club has even more trouble confining the conversation to knit one, purl two. The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club is an uplifting, winning tale about the healing power of friendship and new beginnings.
*****

This is chick-lit at its finest. Jo is the mother of two young boys and recently widowed under the most unfortunate of circumstances, not that becoming a widow is ever a good thing, but what triggered this was ironic, truly. She is packing up her home in London to move back to where she grew up and take over her grandmother's yarn shop.

The home of her youth is right off the beach a charming little town that I would love to live in : ) Her gran's shop is wonderful, and Jo gives it a bit of a boost and starts a stitch and bitch club. Elsie is a long time employee and family friend who is stodgy and doesn't like change. We watch as Jo jumps these various hurdles to make the place her own, while making a new life for her and her boys.

Her best friend Ellen is a popular and beautiful nightly news anchor with a sense of humor and witty tongue, Connie is a new friend married to the local pub owner with two children as well. Trevor the giant dog who's owner Mr. Pellfry can't control at all, and befriends the boys much to Jo's chagrin, the dog that is ; )

The story takes place in England so you have all these English quips that I find so cute. A really nice story on the whole and I enjoyed it. I didn't give a higher rating because it was way on the gentle side for me. I like it a bit more spicier, rougher, a bit more fast and furious if you will. For one example, there was a love scene and I didn't even know it. Maybe I should have assumed it since she spent so many hours in the hotel room with the gentleman but it flew right over my dense head ; )

A couple funny quotes -

Jo about Elsie

Christ, beam me up somebody; she's driving me crazy this morning and if she carries on like this I may have to staple her to something to keep her out of my way.

Jo and her Gran

"Was she nice? Oh those pepporonis are awful."  "I think you mean papparazzi Gran."

I read this for my February book club choice, on my kindle which I borrowed from Amazon since I am a Prime member. Comes in quite handy : )

3 1/2 cannolis

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a minute to leave a comment. Good or bad I always read them : ) and respond.

Related Posts with Thumbnails