Monday, August 13, 2012

July's Wrap




Well my friends, it may still be summer, but for me and mine it is officially back to school!  I now have a 3rd grader, junior high kiddo and a high school freshie! Three different schools, three different times.  And guess what, they went back right with a major heat wave striking :p it was it's been triple digits for 5 days now and today will be 104, yay what fun, send the kids back but they can't go out for recess.  We go back early due to our district being a modified traditional.  That  means they get the whole Thanksgiving week off, 3 wks at Christmas and 2 wks for spring break, I like having those breaks in the mix of the year so it really isn't so bad, what the problem is our region is in its high heat August into part of September, so if there was a way to end them closer to July and send them back in September or the last week of August it would be helpful.  Someone has said they won't do it due to testing and having to have a certain amount of days devoted to studying for it so they get high scores.  Oh well it is what it is ;)  On to books-

I had quite an reading month!  I read pnr, some chic lit all in all 8 books!  I haven't read that many in ages. five were pnr, the Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole took a chunk of that.  I read four of them numbers 2 - 5.  I like Kresley.  I also read On The Island by Tracey Garvis Graves.  I didn't like this book I loved it, read my review *HERE*.  Just fantastic haven't read a goodie like this in a very long time.  I also had my book club choice, Falling Star by Diana Dempsy  not bad, decent chic lit, Larissa Ione's Ecstasy Unveiled which I also liked and That Boy by Jillian Dodd.  This was a very sweet book, not something I  normally would've picked out, but the description was so enticing I just had to read it.  My review is *HERE*.  Some might find this on the simple side, but I just enjoyed it, it worked for me.

Here's just an UNBELIEVABLE surprise where I'm concerned, I have read two YA's and just loved them.  I'm not big on them because I feel like there isn't any "icing on the cake"  but the two I read just knocked my socks off, Because of Low by Abbi Glines and Easy by Tamara Webber.  Loved Easy's cover, really nice.  I don't think I'll review, just not in the mood, but if you're a big YA fan, read em!  I got them through booklending.com.  I know some hate to read self published due to editing issues, but to be honest it doesn;t bother me all that much, if a book is good, then I'm happy.  As long as it isn't to the point of rendering it impossible to read, no biggie.

I'm letting the wind take me this month, whatever strikes my fancy.  August's book club choice it Defending Jacob by William Landay, and right now I'm reading Tap Tap by David Martin, a thriller with a paranormal twist.

Hope the rest of your summer is a great one!




2 comments:

  1. Hi Paula,
    I've been hearing more and more communities changing to the modified calendar year like your kids have. I'm not sure if I could see that happening here in NJ. July and August can be so hot and humid... everyone would melt in the old brick school buildings that are like ovens! In fact, we've had a rare school closure here and there when temperatures hit 3 digits. In any case, hope the heat wave broke out there and the kids are settling into school. We've got a few more weeks left.. but it'll fly by, I just know it.

    Wow you read A TON! Awesome month. I love Kresley Cole's IAD series. Isn't it so fun? It's got a serious, sexy side but also a lighthearted, humorous side. SHe blends the two so, so well. I read the first five or six books.. maybe seven? .. a long time ago and wanted to pick the series back up again earlier this summer. I decided to reread the previous books just because they're so fun. I haven't gotten very far yet, though. I'll check out your reviews to the other books you enjoyed.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the whole thing Christine, if not for the fact that the classes are air conditioned there is NO way they could be in there. We had 108 last week it was just brutal and to top it off it's been humid! WTF we're the west coast go away humidity ; )

      IAD are great fun : ) check put the YA titles too you might like em. Our beach getaway lent itself perfect to reading en mass!

      Delete

Please take a minute to leave a comment. Good or bad I always read them : ) and respond.

Related Posts with Thumbnails