Thursday, July 21, 2011

True Blood and Game Of Thrones






Warning - I will be divulging spoilers here, so if you don't want to know don't read on!


These are two programs on HBO that are based on books.  They are both absolutely fantastic shows.  There is one very great difference.  One has followed the book almost verbatim the other has been playing fast and loose.


When I started watching True Blood in 2008 I had no idea they were based on books.  For Christmas our older daughter requested them and that is what she got.  Well, we both read through them in about one month flat and fell in love hook line and sinker.  Since then we have read the entire series and it is one of the best I've ever read.  We were both VERY disappointed in season two with Alan Ball's horrific MaryAnn storyline. Season three redeemed itself quite a bit, but this season has me a bit in knots.  This season is based on book four.  This is a very pivotal book, Eric has amnesia due to a spell cast by evil witches, Jason is held prisoner, and the three supe groups come together to fight the witches regardless of the fact they they hate each other.  That is pretty important to note in my book.  What has me concerned?  Well, Jason's story is an amazing one and A.B. doesn't seem to be going in that direction.  What takes place with him and Crystal is very shocking and a great plot twist.  Jason being a baby maker for Hot Shot was not in the equation at all, nor was he held by the town, just the one crazy dude.

He has eliminated an entire storyline by killing Queen Sophie.  Same with Claudine, who I'm still ticked at for not being Megan Fox gorgeous, let alone looking like some troll when not glamoured.  When an author goes to great trouble to describe the breathtaking beauty of her characters, you had better find actors to fit that bill.  Not that it matters since Eric ate her up ;)  I know we're only 4 shows in, but the vibe I'm getting is that Marnie the witch is not evil, just possessed by one.  How can you have the ultimate showdown with all the supes working together to fight if she really isn't all that bad.  And what Sam turns into to do that was just majestic and fantastic.  I'm itching to see how A.B. handles Debbie Pelt, I hope Eric comes through here like the book.  I love Eric's personality with his amnesia, he is quite funny, so far so good on that.

Now for Game Of Thrones.  This series is amazing!!  The detail and the scenes are phenomenal.  The look of the whole show puts you right there.  When John Snow is on the wall, you feel the freezing cold.  When Calisi is in the tent with all the candles the ambiance just flows.  The cast is fantastic and we all are enjoying this and can't wait for season two.  My nephew has read all the books and my hubby had to get them too.  Our son is up to three and he said that so far book one is right on the mark.  Having not read the books I am loving the show, and will read them, the fact that it is staying close to the story itself doesn't bother me at all.

I have heard some say "Who wants to see a show just like the books?"  ME!!!  It doesn't have to be exact, but when you read something you expect to see similar otherwise just come up with your own screenplay so there's no disappointment.  There are characters who I love and am glad they weren't killed (Lafayette), some who were invented like Jessica who is awesome, Tommy who isn't.  Some who were changed like Tara, who I can't stand, and others who were dumped before their time.  The whole Arlene story might work out to be a good one, but in the book it was very good.  We'll have to see how that plays out. I know I know the element of surprise yada yada yada, well when you see it on the screen even if you know what's coming it still moves you in a different way.

Well there's my rant, I know everyone has a different opinion on this, but I had to express mine here.  I can't wait to see how this season turns out.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I wrote a rant of my own about True Blood a couple of weeks ago, bemoaning the aberrations from the books.

    Believe me, you are not the only one.

    Jen at Red Hot Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you mean. I think they killed queen Sophie when they cast Evan Rachel Wood. She was so awful.
    Thanks for dropping by. Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Steph, yes, ERW wasn't the greatest choice, but how he's handling the plot is just agitating the crumbs outta me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HBO's online shop needs to stop tormenting me with those Daenerys T-shirts. I can't decide whether I want the one that reads "Mother of Dragons" or "Khaleesi"... And there are all those Ned Stark ones too. Anyway people complain enough about movies ruining books, so it's nice to see at least one book has not been ruined.

    I tried watching the first episode of True Blood and I don't really think the show is for me.

    ReplyDelete

Please take a minute to leave a comment. Good or bad I always read them : ) and respond.

Related Posts with Thumbnails