Friday, June 11, 2010

Whacha Reading (June 11th)


This is a weekly wrap up hosted by moi right here ; )  Just share what you've been reading and what your thoughts are of it.


Covet (Fallen Angels, Book 1)
J.R. Ward
Paperback 496 pgs
Signet







 I am really enjoying this book.  I like Jim, the lead.  I'm intrigued by what he has been assigned to do by the angels, as well as his mysterious past.  Vin Di Pietro and his girlfriend Davina have got my attention.  I don't think she's as sweet as she wants Jim to think, and Vin obviously has some secrets.  It's nice to see Marie - Therese here after meeting her in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.  Her storyline is going to get intense, that's obvious.  So far so good, and I will review it when I'm done : )

I want to touch on a point I had made about falling for author's characters.  When an author accomplishes drawing you into the character that they have crafted, they have that extra something as far as writing.  For example, I've read the first two of Cody McFadyen's Smoky Barrett series, and to be honest, I don't really have any like or dislike for any of them.  In book one I felt it was just that the characters were brand new and they'd evolve, but I can't say that that's happened.  It's almost as though he just didn't finish drawing them.  The potential for awesome characters are there but he hasn't quite completed it. While his story was good, what the the killer was going to do next and finding out how it ends kept my attention, Smoky nor any of the rest fazed me.  That is not a good thing, it's for that reason that I haven't rushed to get the other two books in this series.  He just hasn't quite hooked me.  Liking or loving main characters are integral in my opinion.  Chelsea Cain and her Heartsick series has accomplished this hands down.  As demented as Gretchen Lowell is, I want to know what the psycho is going to do, and I can't help but like poor pitiful Archie Sheridan.  Hands down, Miss Charlaine has most definitely done this with her Southern Vampire series.  I have only read Robert Crais' first Elvis Cole book, The Monkey's Raincoat, and not only do I like Elvis, but Joe Pike was a smidgen in it and I can't wait to read his books too!  That is an author with molto di talento.

Now it's your turn, share with us, I'm always on the hunt for a great page turner ; )



1 comment:

  1. Ciao Bella, THis book I finally finished Magic Bites which was on the not-so-much-side of like, And I just finished M. Acosta's Happy Hour at Casa Dracula. Now I am debating where to go book wise. And, I am off to the second 40th birthday party for an old friend tonight. Looking forward to an excellent Manhattan.
    I don't have any TB clothes. They would just be covered with cat hair!
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    http://www.fangswandsandfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete

Please take a minute to leave a comment. Good or bad I always read them : ) and respond.

Related Posts with Thumbnails